01 Apr Does your library or bookstore have a display for Sexual Assault Awareness Month?
Greetings, book lovers!
During the month of April, the New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault and rape crisis programs across New York State collaborate with community partners to raise awareness, host events, and provide resources about our services as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). We are hoping that your library or bookshop will support us by having a special collection of books on display!
Our goal is to enable New Yorkers to learn about the free and confidential services that are available to survivors and their loved ones: counseling, support groups, accompaniment in hospitals and police departments, legal assistance, and compensation. Your display will help us raise awareness!
Books should relate to sexual violence and rape culture, but can also discuss self-care techniques, relationships, and managing trauma and mental health. To accompany this book display, we can provide you with a variety of materials at no cost, including brochures and stickers, if you wish. These materials display our statewide hotlines, website, some quick facts, and a list of our services.
We invite you to add to this collection as you see fit and within the means of your inventory. When displaying these books, please keep in mind that teal is the official color of SAAM.
If you have questions or would like to participate in SAAM, please contact Chelsea Miller, our Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support,
The Coalition Staff
#SAAM Participating Libraries and Bookstores
- Locust Valley Library (Locust Valley, NY)
- Stephentown Memorial Library (Stephentown, NY)
- Books Are Magic (Brooklyn, NY)
#SAAM Resources from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC):
- I Ask for Consent handouts
- I Ask for Digital Consent handouts
- I Ask How to Teach Consent Early handouts
- I Ask How Power Impacts Consent handouts
- Campaign Toolkit and Social Media Guide
- Event Planning Guide
#Upcoming SAAM Events
- April 1: Standing Up for Survivors: A Comedy Fundraiser for Victim Advocacy Services (Schenectady, NY)
- April 2: SAAM Day of Action
- April 2: “Boys and Men Healing” Film Screening (Ithaca, NY)
- April 3: Cover the Cruiser (Schenectady, NY)
- April 5: Victim Advocacy Services Benefit Concert (Saratoga Springs, NY)
- April 12: Walk in Our Shoes (Sanborn, NY)
- April 12: Take Back the Night (Brentwood, NY)
- April 13: We Will Survive: A Night of Strength Through Art (Saratoga Springs, NY)
- April 16: Victim Advocacy Services Paint-and-Sip Fundraiser (Schenectady, NY)
- April 17: Take Back the Night (Albany, NY) – Be sure to stop by NYSCASA’s table at the community tabling event!
- April 26: Take Back the Night (Ithaca, NY)
- April 26: Take Back the Night (Oneida, NY)
Are you organizing an event for SAAM that you would like NYSCASA to add to our calendar? Please submit information about your event using this form.